Sunday, April 29, 2012

Blog Post 13

For our blog post 13, we were instructed to go on a 24 hour media fast. This means  no radio, no cell phones, nothing that is electronic for an entire 24 hours. My first attempt was a failure because I listened to the radio as soon as I jumped into my car, so I had to back up and devise a better plan. My second attempt was a success!! Since we couldn't use any electronics, I had to shut my radio off in advance and also let my cell phone die. I chose to go to the beach for my 24 hours, so it really wasn't that bad at all.
          The good thing about being born and raised in the country is that you learn to make ways to have fun without electronics. There's a thousand things that I could've done, but I really wanted to get away for a little while before finals, and what better place to do it than the beach? I believe that this assignment was to make us reflect upon how big of a role technology plays in our lives. I'm not a big facebooker, but the radio, laptop, and especially cell phone got to me. I have a few friends that I haven't got to see in a long time that live at the beach and couldn't call them, which made me realize how much I needed my cell phone. Another time when it really sank in was when I was driving down and couldn't listen to my radio.
          I would have never realized how important technology is in my life if it wasn't for this assignment. It was extremely hard not to use some form of electronics throughout the day. It took me getting away from my house and actually making an effort to complete my e-media fast. I honestly can't believe I did it!! I enjoyed the assignment because it made me get out an actually get involved in the outside world, something that you can't do alot as a full-time student. So you think you can make it?

No comments:

Post a Comment